Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Scary

K's mom has cancer.... What a frightening thing to say. This woman who has not made my acceptance into being a part of their family easy, now has a life threatening disease. From here on out, everything is on the back burner and I'm fearful for outcomes. While we haven't gotten along perfectly, I am attached to her and their family unit remaining intact.

I got teary about it when we were visiting K's grandmother and talking about it. K and her mom are both using humor to diffuse and remain "positive" while grandma, her dad, and I are feeling some sort of way about it. Her brother's both seem to be alright, though we haven't talked with P about it and D also has the same kind of blase "positivism" going on.

I really want K to get tested and start having yearly mammograms because it is not only affecting her mom, but also her mom's first cousin and her aunt (who died from it) have the same kind of breast cancer. She kind of blew me off at first, but relented when I said it would help me to have peace of mind.

We are going off to Blue Ridge this weekend with the 6 & 1/2 pack (new name I just created) so it will hopefully be a nice weekend away for K's birthday. {Update: we never went to Blue Ridge, stayed home and played games with friends}

No comments:

Post a Comment