Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Social Media and Commentary

We have entered an age where everyone and anyone, can and will, give their unfettered opinion regardless of situation or decorum. I know better than to read the comments section of an article or post, but somehow I end up rebelling against myself and doing it anyhow.

The divide that our country is experiencing currently seems to be wider than I have experienced in my lifetime. I should talk to my parents about how they experienced Nixon/JFK/MLK/Vietnam, but they grew up in the North as opposed to the South.

My initial reaction goes like this:
1. See an article that interests me
2. Read said article
3. Internal struggle surrounding reading the comments
4. Decide to read the comments anyway
5. Get extremely angry at people in general on both sides
6. Try to think of ways I can respond
7. Decide not to respond because then I am only contributing to the problem
8. Ponder why we are so divided as human beings
9. Think about ways I can help bring people together
10. Scrap ideas about ways to help bring people together because I am still angry at the ways I've been treated in the past/presently
11. Remind myself I ought to pray about things and give my fears and anger over to God to try to obtain peace/serenity

I cycle through this multiple times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment