Friday, May 25, 2018

Half Truths

How many times have I repeated something without researching it? Too many to count. I trust the word of those in an authority position over me more than I should. I struggle with rebelling and wanting to please authority at the same time. Not my best quality.

The whole purpose of this post is about something that K's mom said to me about watermelon. We were all talking about WW and what fruit we are consuming copious amounts of (fruit is 0sp on WW). I piped up and said that watermelon has been my choice as of late. Immediately, K's mom states that watermelon is FULL of sugar and that someone (like a dentist or doctor) told her to steer clear of it and eat only other melons (ei: cantelope, honeydew).

This didn't sound right to me, but I still exclaimed, "Really?!" I did a quick google search the next day and did see that watermelon is indeed higher in sugar (17 grams per serving vs 11 grams per serving) than other melons by about 6 grams. Daily intake is between 25-50 depending on your source and diet or 12-24% more which is significant.

Now, I'm not denying that is more than other melons at all. But, it got me thinking about sugar content in other fruits so I did some additional research. And, wow, there are some of her favorites right up there with watermelon. One cup of blueberries, apricots, grapes, plums, and guava are all 15 grams.  Pineapple is 16 grams. So is a pear. One cup of mango pieces? You are looking at 23 grams! A serving of apple is 25 grams!! Your whole damn day gone in one apple.

The usual suspects (citrus) were all very low. What surprised me the most was, strawberries. How are we not calling them a super fruit?? Only 7 grams of sugar per serving.

Anyhow, in the end, K's mom was not wrong, but only gave a small window into the bigger picture. I have since cut my fruit intake (aside from me still eating a significant portion of watermelon right now :) and have been trying to drink more water. Side effect to drinking more water, peeing every hour :(

On the up and up, I lost another 1.8 pounds this week! Almost at 12 pounds down and I got to cross off another number on my chart. 3 pounds from 5% of my body weight, feeling really good, too. I think that is the best part of all the changes, I feel so much better. I need to remind myself of that the next time I want the large serving of garlic fries (damn you, Braves stadium food!). I have had very few cravings or feeling like I've been denied of something doing WW. I really feel like this program is great in so many ways. I've not been obsessing about caloric intake (like I did with MyFitnessPal) or greatly missing sugar/carbs (like with Whole30). The only issue I have is that they don't explain what equals 1 point, so we will have to continue to pay and use their tracking system. Until we are no longer successful using the system, I will happily pay to make better changes and teach myself better portions (which I think is a big part of this whole thing).


No comments:

Post a Comment